Cincinnati Public Radio announces Spring semester 2021 internship opportunities for area college and high school students, through WVXU’s educational outreach program Democracy & Me, and with academic support from the University of Cincinnati. We’re now accepting applications for three college-level internships (6-12 hours/week, paid $13/hour) and six high school-level internships (3-6 hours/week, paid $11/hour), with an emphasis on community voices underrepresented in public media: BIPOC, Latinx and non-Black POC, LGBTQIA+ and students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interns, a.k.a. the Freedom Friends, will work primarily with CPR’s educational outreach coordinator, Julie Coppens, producing youth-centered content for the Democracy & Me website and e-newsletter, Democracy & Z podcast, YouTube channel and other media platforms, with some crossover to WVXU, our NPR-affiliated news station. Over the course of the semester students will pursue a wide range of digital-storytelling projects, both individually and collaboratively, that fit their unique skills, professional goals and interests (journalistic, cultural, creative, technical), and will be mentored by CPR’s professional staff.
Here’s a sample of what our inaugural class of D&M interns was up to this fall.
The Spring 2021 program will run for 15 weeks beginning Jan. 18, with most work done remotely and any in-person/field work following all current COVID-19 precautions. Scheduling is flexible, though participants must be available for weekly team meetings via Zoom (currently held 5-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays).
To apply for the Spring semester 2021 internship, complete this form or copy this URL into your web browser: https://forms.gle/QYfbr4XumJ4yaQKq9.
Internship candidates should be:
- Passionate students of American history, politics, and media
- Skilled, creative, cutting-edge communicators—in writing and speech, pictures and sound
- Team players and peer educators
- Highly organized and able to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Google apps and various social media platforms
- College-level applicants should be working on a degree in communications, journalism, political science or related fields
- High school applicants should have demonstrated interest in one or more of these career paths
Current fall interns are eligible to re-apply for the spring.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 21