Cincinnati Public Radio announces new internship opportunities for area college and high school students, through WVXU’s educational outreach program Democracy & Me, and with academic support from the University of Cincinnati. We’re now accepting applications for two college-level internships (10-12 hours/week, paid $13/hour) and six high school-level apprenticeships (5-6 hours/week, paid $10/hour), with an emphasis on community voices underrepresented in public media: BIPOC, Latinx and non-Black POC, LGBTQIA+ and students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interns and apprentices will work primarily with CPR’s educational outreach coordinator, Julie Coppens, producing youth-centered content for the Democracy & Me website and e-newsletter, Democracy & Z podcast, YouTube channel and other media platforms, with some crossover to WVXU, our NPR-affiliated news station. Over the course of the semester students will pursue a wide range of digital-storytelling projects, both individually and collaboratively, that fit their unique skills, professional goals and interests (journalistic, cultural, creative, technical), and will be mentored by CPR’s professional staff.
The Fall 2020 program will run for 15 weeks beginning Aug. 24, with most work done remotely and any in-person/field work following all current COVID-19 precautions. Scheduling is flexible.
Internship and apprenticeship candidates should be:
- Passionate students of American history (especially that of Black, Indigenous and other marginalized peoples), politics, and media
- Skilled, creative, cutting-edge communicators—in writing and speech, pictures and sound
- Team players and peer educators
- Highly organized and able to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Google apps and various social media platforms
- College-level applicants should be working on a degree in communications, journalism, professional writing, political science or related fields
- High school applicants should have demonstrated interest in one or more of these career paths
The application deadline has passed, but we’d still like to hear from interested students–and we want to make sure you’re hip to future opportunities.
Reach out to Julie Coppens directly: email@example.com, with some notes about who you are and why you’d like to work with us on Democracy & Me.