Transform student understanding of news, build a foundation of civic engagement and spark a life-long interest in current events with curriculum developed by the PBS NewsHour Extra team, media professionals, partner teachers and scholars at the Media Education Lab of Temple University. Three flexible units with a total of 10 lesson plans aimed at strengthening digital and news literacy competencies are available.
The curriculum, which can be downloaded in its entirety, is divided into three units:
- Unit 1: News Media 101
- What is Newsworthy?
- What Makes a Good Video Report?
- Journalism Ethics
- Copyright and Fair Use
- Broadcast News
- Unit 2: Constructing News
- Interviewing: The Art of Asking Questions
- Facts vs. Opinions vs. Informed Opinions and their Role in Journalism
- Unit 3: Putting it all Together