A dangerous smile. A never-ending war. A vampire diary full of incrimminating receipts. A feast for ghosts, prepared with love. Our May selection, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings: 15 Retellings of Asian Myths and Legends, is a journey of the unexpected, “the book that was missing in our lives for far too long,” write editors Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman, of We Need Diverse Books.
RSVP HERE FOR OUR MAY 26 BOOK CLUB
Pick up a copy at the Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library, or our own little free library at Elementz, and make plans to join our youth-led book chat at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 26, via Zoom. (You might win a WVXU/D&M swag bag, including a copy of our June book, Pet, by Akwaeke Emezi).
Ready to stack up your summer reading? Here are our remaining Freedom Friends Book Club selections for 2021. We’ll continue to meet virtually on the final Wednesdays of each month, but are considering a mix of in-person and online gatherings starting in July–share your thoughts with us on that, and on the books!
- June: Pet, by Akwaeke Emezi
- July: Children of Blood and Bone, by Tomi Adeyemi
- August: Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance, edited by Bethany C. Morrow
- September: Want, by Cindy Pon
- October: Unbroken: 13 Stories Starring Disabled Teens, edited by Marieke Nijkamp
- November: The 500 Years of Resistance Comic Book, by Gord Hill
- December: Freedom Friends’ Pick TBD
- Got a recommendation for us? Comment below.
Feeling generous? Use this Wish List link to donate a book to our Freedom Friends Free Library, and we’ll get it into the hands of a student reader.